Some people love running with passion and they go into every run with excitement and determination. Then there are those who need to muster every ounce of motivation they have to get out for a run. Whether you’re someone who loves every step of every mile, someone who curses the running gods until you cross the finish line, or someone who falls through the cracks, there are running quotes for every situation.
And these kinds of quotes can motivate us for three main reasons: we love to be coached, we’re drawn to well-written words, and it’s embedded in our basic biology. But more important than why they work is what they do. So whatever race you’re ready to tackle, let these running quotes be your inspiration.
1. “When we run, we become.” –Ambi Burfoot
2. “What seems hard now will one day warm you up.” – unknown
3. “I breathe in strength and exhale weakness.” –Amy Hastings CragQuoted his mantra during the marathon.
4. “Every run is a work of art, every day a drawing on the canvas. Some runs are shouts and some runs are whispers. Some praise runs and others celebrate.” – Dagny Scott Barrios
5. “Pain is inevitable. Pain is optional.” – Haruki Murakami
6. “There is something magical about running; after a certain distance, it transcends the body. Then a little further, it transcends the mind. A little further, and what lies before you, is the soul.” — Christine Armstrong
7. “There will come a day when I can’t run anymore. Today is not that day.” -Unknown
8. “There’s magic in our running shoes. The power to turn a bad day into a good day; Disappointment at speed; Doubt in confidence; Chocolate cake in muscle.” -Mina Samuels
9. “Anyone busier than you is running now.” -Nike
10. “Running is the alone time that allows my brain to untangle the tangles that build up from day to day. I run, cover the pavement, put that energy into my legs, and when I’m done running, I’m done.” –Rob Hansen
11. “A short run is better than no run.” – unknown
12. “The more I run, the more I love my body. Not because it’s perfect, far from it, but because with every mile it’s proving to me that I’m capable of more than I ever thought possible.” -Unknown
13. “I don’t feel like running today. That’s exactly why I went.” -Unknown
14. “We run to undo the damage we have done to body and soul. We rush to find parts of ourselves that are still undiscovered.” – John Bingham
15. “Never limit where running can take you. I mean that geographically, spiritually and of course, physically.” -Burt Yasso
16. “Run. Because the zombies will eat the untrained first!” —Zombie Apocalypse Survival Guide
17. “The trouble with jogging is that by the time you realize you’re not fit for it, it’s too far to walk back.” – Franklin P. Jones
18. “The miracle isn’t that I’m done. The miracle is that I had the courage to begin.” – John Bingham
19. “I run because it always gets me where I want to go.” -Dean Karnages