Staying active during the holidays can be difficult, even for the most committed exercisers.
Cold weather, grueling events, plenty of food and drink at those events, and new streaming services popping up seemingly every month.
It may seem like the world is just begging you to sit on the couch parked in front of the tube.
Luckily, you can use that screen time to your advantage!
An easy, fun way to get moving while watching your favorite holiday classics is to play a movie workout game It’s like a drinking game…but you replace the drinking with exercise!
Whenever you see or hear one of these cues in the following holiday movies, get up and do some moving. Your body will thank you.
A Christmas Story
- Whenever Ralphie’s dream Christmas present, the Red Raider BB gun, is mentioned or seen, do 10 push-ups to fire your own gun.
- Every time the infamous leg lamp is talked about or seen, stand up and do eight single-leg deadlifts on each leg to fire up your glutes and hamstrings.
- Whenever Kevin (Macauley Culkin) pulls a punitive stunt on the home invaders (Joe Pacey and Daniel Stern), stand up and do 10 butt kicks as they kick their butt.
- Any time someone says “Kevin”, do 10 seconds of jab and cross punching.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- Get up and do your cardio every time Chevy Chase raises something by doing 15 jumping jacks.
- Whenever someone slips, slides, falls or takes a header, stand up and do a set of front lunges. Just like everyone in the movie, maintain proper form to prevent injury.
- Whenever Will Ferrell yells or screams something, stand up and run in a tight circle for 15 seconds. (A revolving door is not recommended.)
- Any time someone makes a joke of Buddy’s butt, hit the floor and do 10 glute bridges to sculpt your booty.
It’s a Wonderful Life
- Anytime someone says “George Bailey,” get off that couch and do five reps of the surrender exercise to wake up your quads.
- Whenever you see snow, drop to the floor and do eight push-ups (4 on each side). You’ll work your upper body and core, all while still being able to peak on the screen!
- Every time a character says the word “actually”, get up and do 10 bodyweight squats.
- Whenever emotional music plays during a heartfelt speech, get down on the floor and make a plank. Try holding it until the music stops…
Miracle on 34th Street
- Whenever a Christmas tree appears on the screen, stand up and do five star jumps. Same thing as tree topping ornaments, right?
- Whenever you see Santa, do 30 seconds of scissor kicks to get rid of the belly like Santa. (Love you, Santa!)
- Whenever Frank (Bill Murray) transitions from reality to fantasy — or vice versa — do 10 squat jacks.
- Any time Frank touches his tie, climb 10 mountains.
A Charlie Brown Christmas
- When the classic upbeat theme song plays — like in the scene when the Peanuts kids are having fun at the gym — stand up and dance in place. Freestyle!
- Its iconically gentle serving time Christmastime is hereChill out with this series of stretching exercises that you can do while sitting or on the floor in front of the TV, like the Seated Neck Stretch, Chest and Peak Stretch, and Happy Baby.
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
- Any time the Grinch smiles, do one of these facial exercises, like cheek lifts.
- When the Grinch crawls from place to place on tiptoe, raise 10 standing calves to join in the fun.